Wiki Loves Monuments 2022 is an international photo contest about cultural heritage monuments, which is open to everybody and is organised by the local chapters of Wikimedia and volunteer groups from different countries.
With this initiative we encourage anyone to upload images of monuments under a free license for use in Wikipedia articles, in other Wikimedia projects, and elsewhere. We want to offer a global and quality vision of the cultural heritage of each country, which is an outstanding part of human knowledge; for this, the images are worth a thousand words and do not require knowledge of a certain language. Participate and help improve Wikipedia and spread free knowledge! In this edition, the Autonomous Organization National Parks will grant a special prize to the best photograph of a space belonging to the Spanish Network of Biosphere Reserves.
Wiki Loves Monuments is organised in Spain by Wikimedia Spain Association, which promotes and spreads Free Knowledge on Spain. IF you are interested in colaborating on contests or other activities, you may associate or donate.
Rules to participate
The basic rules for this contest are as follows:
- Photograph monuments (whether or not they have a previous photo) or municipies still without photo on Wikipedia (may be done at any time).
- In this year's edition, the Autonomous Organization National Parks will award a special prize for the best photograph of an area belonging to the Spanish Network of Biosphere Reserves (more information).
- Upload them to Wikimedia Commons between the 1st and 30th September of 2022.
- The photographs must have been taken by the participants and must have been loaded by themselves.
- The monument identifier must be provided with the photographs (with help of the existing listings. This is not required for thermae and municipies.
- There's no limit of the number of images that you can upload. What are you waiting for to go out and take photos? (read the complete terms of participation)
History of the contest
Wiki Loves Monuments contest was organized for the first time in 2010 in the Netherlands. In 2011 it took place in 18 European countries, and more than 150,000 photos were collected. In 2012 there were 34 countries worldwide with more than 350,000 photographs, in 2013 53 countries had 363,000 photographs, in 2014 41 countries collected more than 300,000 photographs, in 2015 33 countries had 225,000 photographs, in 2016 42 countries obtained more than 270,000 photographs, in 2017 52 countries had almost 245,000 photographs, in 2018 a total of 56 countries collected more than 257,000 photographs and finally in 2019 48 countries had almost 213,000 images.
Wiki Loves Monuments was registered in the Guinness World Record Book as the largest photography competition in the world. Since the first edition, more than 2,400,000 images have been collected.
The contest is composed of 2 different phases, the first one takes place within Spain with a national jury and with our prizes; in the second phase, of international scope, the best 10 photographs of each national contest will participate with an international jury that will select the best pictures of monuments in 2022 worldwide and will also grant important prizes.
Participating in the contest is very easy, you may do so through Wikimedia Commons
by following these steps:
Everyone may participate in this contest.
Try to take original pics.
There are many interesting places, take advantage of your free time!
Monuments may be nearer to you than you think.
If you are going to be travelling to one of the countries that participates in this contest, do not forget your camera…
And focus on the details!
If you have any doubts, you may contact us.
By participating in this contest, you accept its terms and conditions.
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter